About UsCurrently conducting Zoom sessions at half our normal rates.
Have now returned to face to face consultations outdoors and happy to undertake a Covid-19 Rapid Flow test prior to our session if required.
About Us – Dog Behaviourist and Puppy Trainer
Paw Position Background
My name is Jo and I founded Paw Position to provide a first-class dog behaviour and training service to all dogs but specialising in your rescued and re-homed “best friends”.
Paw Position Approach
Having understood what it is that is making your dog so unhappy or unsure with itself that his behaviour becomes a problem for his human companions then, using methods that are fair, kind and effective, I guide the owners through the process of changing their best friend’s behaviour for the better.
We strongly object to, and will never use, methods which are designed to scare or harm your dog, for example, shock or spike collars. Instead I have been trained, qualified and am now very experienced in the use of what is known as the “positive reinforcement” method of improving a dog’s behaviour. This approach is now widely accepted as one of the most effective and stress-free ways of helping owners to change the way that a troubled dog behaves.
However, I do have an open-minded approach and continue to educate my-self through further training, courses and research; keeping up to date with new ideas and training methods by networking with other dog care professionals of all types.
Paw Position Product Offering
An initial Consultation which includes the following elements:
- I visit your home to better understand what it is that is that is causing your dog’s behaviour to be unacceptable to you, your family, your other pets, visitors to your home and to people and dogs you meet when out trying to enjoy a nice walk.
- Together we will put in place a behaviour plan.
- We will then work with your dog using the plan so that I can show you how her behaviour can be improved.
- Within 48 hours of my visit I will email to you a written behaviour plan for you, and any members of your household, to use as a reminder of what we discussed and agreed that you would all do towards helping your best friend to change his ways for the better.
- I will then call you after about a week to check on progress.
- For a month following my visit you can contact me for support by email or phone (08:00am until 07:00pm Mon. – Fri. and 09:00 – 02:00pm on Saturdays).
- As part of an additional service I can:-
- Forward the plan to a referee (e.g. your Veterinary Surgeon), if required.
- Come back for a follow-up visit as agreed to give you further support, advice and review your progress.
- Provide email and phone support as above for one month from the date of my first visit.
- Further visits if required (especially for re-active dogs) involving the use of one of my dogs and a trained member of Paw-Position staff.
Qualifications attained to date currently include the following:
- Diplomas and Certifications gained with the British College of Canine Studies(BCCS) include:-
- The level 4 Advanced Behaviour Diploma course (Distinction)
- Canine 1st Aid Certificate course (Distinction)
- Children & Dogs Certificate course (Distinction)
- In addition,I received practical training from Lisa Hird one of the UK’s most experienced practicing canine behaviourist, trainer and tutor (founder of the Dog Behaviour Clinic) and consequently now hold the Training & Practical certificate to an ‘excellence’ level with the Animal Careers College (C/o Animal Jobs Direct Ltd)
- I hold a certificate of care and welfare of the senior dog from Compass Training
- An approved trainer status with the Academy of Dog Training and Behaviour.
- Completing further training and study towards a level five advanced diploma in canine behaviour management with Compass Education and Training.
- I completed the beginner level of the Paw Dimensions foundation fitness course.
- I hold a Basic Criminal Record Disclosure certificate
- I am currently completing the Understanding Canine Aggression with the Cambridge Institute of Dog Behaviour and Training.
The business is fully insured for Public Liability and I am a full member of the Professional Pet Guild, the International Society of Animal Professionals and a full and active member of the Academy of Dog Training and Behaviour.
To view my qualifications please click here.
For almost 20 years now I have actively sought to adopt dogs into our home that, for a variety of reasons required rehoming, both privately and from established organisations such as Labradors in Need, The Labrador Rescue Trust, The Blue Cross, Battersea Cats’ and Dogs’ Home and Dogs Trust. Following a vetting process by these organisations, some of these dogs joined our family suffering from such behavioural conditions as separation anxiety, fear aggression, poor socialisation, noise aversion and “agoraphobia”. They have also come to us with no training and very little in the way of “good manners”.
Obtaining so much satisfaction from seeing how I was able to integrate these new-comers into our home, which over the last few years has always numbered up to four, really gave me the inspiration to embark on a new career changing poor behaving dogs and unhappy owners into one well balanced happy family.
Since launching Paw-Position on a part time basis in April 2015, I have been kept busy seeing doggie clients referred to me by Vets for Pets a large UK wide Veterinary Practice and by a local Canine Hydrotherapy Centre both of which have given me enormous support and encouragement to become a dog behaviourist. I have also become the appointed behaviourist for Labradors in Need for the UK and the Bedlington Terrier Rescue Trust for Essex and East London.
Having enjoyed a 14 year relationship with both of these pet professional organisations I believe that they have recognised in me someone who has the practical experience and determination to resolve behaviour issues often exhibited in unfortunate ways by mans’ best friend.
Now, since August 2016 I have been able to transform the Paw-Position business into a full-time vocational career.
Code of Conduct
To view my code of conduct please click here.